NFCA SFRM/IFRM Special Inspector Education Program
The International Building Code's (IBC) Chapter 17 Special Inspections, requires and states the Special Inspection Agency and Special Inspector need to be approved by the Code Official. The IBC states the Special Inspection Agency must be indpendent, have experience, personnel, and equipment to conduct the inspections.
The Special Inspector, employed by the Special Inspection Agency, must also have competency and experience in the same type and complexity of materials inspected to become approved by the Code Official. The proof for competency the Code Official can use is education from sources such as NFCA.
The NFCA provides a free education program for Special Inspectors employed by Inspection Agencies to learn inspection and test procedures for the inspection of Spray Fire Resistive Materials (SFRM) and Intumescent Fire Resistive Materials (IFRM) applied to structural members.
The NFCA program covers International Building Code requirements for inspection and testing procedures plus reporting results for both SFRM and IFRM products that become systems once installed to the tested design.
This NFCA education program covers the specific types of testing required by the IBC, the frequency of testing, the specific test procedures and the procedures for reporting the results. The program is detailed in its content so that it can provide proper training to assist your efforts in becoming an ICC Certified SFRM/IFRM Inspector.
There are two education programs offered here:
1. The NFCA Inspector Training Program based on 2006 IBC is used to prepare for the ICC Certified Inspector Exam. Instructions below.
2. The NFCA 2016 Inspection Education Program for those looking for the most up to date knowledge about inspection, and includes information about the 2009 and 2015 IBC Special Inspection Sections for SFRM and IFRM Fireproofing.
Both programs can be used to refresh your knowledge of the inspection process so the Code Official can approve you as a Special Inspector.
INSTRUCTIONS For NFCA's ICC Inspection Education Program
The NFCA Inspector Education Program is a video program and requires you have software on your computer to play flash videos. If you need a flash video program go to Adobe Flash Player at https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.
The program allows you to step through each picture manually by clicking the advance button on the video screen to provide you time to understand the material. You can stop and return to the program at anytime. The total training program will take approximately 1 to 1-1/2 hours to complete.
- To start the program click on, NFCA Inspector Training Program based on 2006 IBC . (NOTE: ICC's Exam is based on this information)
- At the bottom of the first slide is a control bar. Expand the bar by clicking on the right arrow. Double click the large arrow to hear the slide narration.
- To advance to the next slide, click on the large right arrow on the left side of the control bar . Double click the large arrow to hear the slide narration. Follow this procedure for each slide.
- To print the slide page, right click your mouse and a drop down screen will appear containing a print button. Double click the print button to print the slide.